Mr. Charles Lee Yeh-kwong
Mr. Charles Yeh Kwong Lee was born in Shanghai in 1936, and was educated and brought up in Hong Kong.
After graduating from the University of London with a Master's degree in law, Mr. Lee became a qualified solicitor in both Hong Kong and the United Kingdom. He is one of the founders of the solicitors' firm of Woo, Kwan, Lee & Lo, a major law firm in Hong Kong. He is also a qualified accountant, and a chartered secretary.
From 1988 to 1991, Mr. Lee was a member of the Council of the Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited, and became its Chairman 1992 to 1994. From 1999 to April 2006 he was Chairman of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited, which is the holding company of the Hong Kong Stock and Futures Exchanges and their associated clearing companies.
His many public appointments include:-
- Secretary to The Companies Law Revision Committee from 1968 to 1973, leading to the enactment of the Securities Ordinance and substantial amendments to theCompanies Ordinance;
- Member of the Governor's Business Council from 1992-1997;
- Hong Kong Affairs Adviser from 1993 to 1997; Member of the Court of the Hong Kong Polytechnic University from 1995 to 2002;
- Member of The Selection Committee of The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region by The National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China in 1996;
- Member of the Equal Opportunities Commission of Hong Kong from 1996 to 2003;
- Member of the Executive Council of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government from 1997 to 2002 and from October 2005 to June 2012;
- Member of the Council of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology since 1998 and again as Honorary Member since 2004.;
- Chairman of the Council of the Open University of Hong Kong from 1998 to 2003, and 2004 to June 2009. In November 2013, appointed as Pro-Chancellor of the University.
- Chairman of the Mandatory Provident Fund Schemes Authority from 1998 to 2007.
- Chairman of Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited from 1999 to 2006.
- Chairman of the Executive Committee of the Hong Kong Arts Festival Society Limited from September 2003 to September 2012;
- Chairperson of Hong Kong – Taiwan Economic and Cultural
- Co-operation and Promotion Council from April 2010 to November 2015.
- Chairman of Audit Profession Reform Advisory Group of Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants since May 2010.
- Election member of the 12th Selection Committee of The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region by The National People's Congress of the People's Republic of China in June 2012;
- Governor of Board of Governors of Our Hong Kong Foundation since September 2015.
Mr. Lee was made a Non-Official Justice of the Peace (JP) in 1993, and an Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (OBE) in 1994. In 2000, he was awarded the Gold Bauhinia Star (GBS), and the degree of Doctor of Laws honoris causa (by UST); and in 2001 he was also awarded the degree of Doctor of Business Administration (by HKPU). In 2003 (by OUHK) and 2005 (by HKU), he was again awarded the degree of Doctor of Social Sciences, honoris causa. In 2006 he was awarded the Grand Bauhinia Medal (GBM).
He participates actively in community service, assuming Chairmanship of the Campaign Committee of the The Community Chest of Hong Kong from 1995 to 1997, and Executive Committee Chairman of the Chest from 1997 to 1998. From 2002 to June 2003 he was the First Vice President and Executive Committee Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Chest, currently he remains as:-
i) Vice Patron &
ii) Campaign Committee Co-Chairman
Mr. Lee is married with a daughter and a son, and his hobbies are boating and scuba diving.